Friday, June 10, 2011

Old-Fashioned Rhubarb Pudding Cake


My parents brought along a bag of rhubarb on their visit a couple of weeks ago. Yay! I'm always on the lookout for new rhubarb recipes. I collect them in a file folder that stays tucked in between my cookbooks until I pull it out each Spring when rhubarb is in season. It's always a dilemma to decide which recipe to try first when I get a bunch of rhubarb. Since this one happened to be the recipe on top of the stack and it looked quick and easy, I called it a "sign" and grabbed for the simple ingredients, all of which I already had in my fridge and pantry. A pudding cake is always sure to please!

I think that I copied this one from a Taste of Home cookbook sometime last year. This recipe is for true rhubarb lovers (like me) who enjoy the taste of the tart vegetable, uninhibited by lots of spices and ingredients. The rhubarb flavor really shines through with this recipe! My only complaint (not that it stopped me from eating a couple of pieces) was that this was less like a pudding cake and more like a regular cake. The pudding cakes that I have made in the past tend to have a denser, more gooey texture. Still, this was a yummy way to use up rhubarb, especially when topped with freshly whipped cream.

To begin, I chopped 4 cups of fresh rhubarb.


Then I put the rhubarb in a saucepan and added in a cup of sugar. Cook over medium heat for 12-15 minutes or until the rhubarb is tender. My oldest daughter volunteered to tend to the simmering rhubarb while I went about mixing up the cake batter. While she didn't want to eat the cake, she really enjoyed tasting the sweetened, cooked rhubarb.


With the rhubarb cooking, I creamed 1/2 stick of butter with 1/2 cup of sugar. Then I beat in an egg and a teaspoon of vanilla.


Mix the dry ingredients together and add them to the batter alternately


with 1/2 cup of milk.


Pour the batter into the bottom of a greased 9 inch square baking dish.


Then top with the cooked rhubarb-sugar mixture.


Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.


Serve with whipped cream, if you like.


I did like this, but the next time I want a Rhubarb Pudding Cake, I think that I will use my Peach Pudding Cake recipe and substitute rhubarb for the peaches. I really prefer the pudding-like texture and sweetness of a denser pudding cake.

But if you're looking for a simple and delicious rhubarb "snack" cake then give this one a try!

Here's the recipe from Taste of Home:

Old-Fashioned Rhubarb Pudding Cake adapted by Krista's Kitchen

Prep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling

Ingredients
4 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
1/4 cup butter or shortening
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk

Directions
•In a large saucepan, combine rhubarb and 1 cup sugar. Cook over
medium heat for 12-15 minutes or until rhubarb is tender.

•Meanwhile, in a small bowl, cream shortening and remaining sugar
until light and fluffy; beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour,
baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with
milk. Beat just until combined.

•Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Pour rhubarb mixture
over batter. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick
inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.

Yield: 9 servings.

3 comments:

Holly said...

YUM!! Love rhubarb:)

Pam said...

I have some rhubarb in the fridge right now, and this looks like something great to do with it! Looks delicious!

Lisa said...

That rhubarb on your cake is just so yummy looking. I definitely love fruity desserts. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog till Monday night and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your cake up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/06/sweets-for-saturday-21.html

Related Posts with Thumbnails