Thursday, July 1, 2010

Black-Eyed Pea Salad



I chose this recipe at a glance, but when I got down to making it, I realized that it closely resembled one of my summertime staples: Grandma Shirley's Cucumbers and Onions. I grew up loving the combo of thinly-sliced, garden fresh cucumbers and sweet onions swimming in the sugar-vinegar-cream dressing. My grandma or mom always kept a jar in the fridge through the hot, sticky days of summer. This recipe from Cooking Light magazine has a couple more ingredients, more nutrients, more fiber, and less fat. Best of all, it's full of flavor, color, and texture. A perfect light and refreshing summer salad! This side dish saved last night's failed attempt at a Southern catfish dinner from being a complete loss and it was even better alongside my turkey sandwich at lunch today.

It comes together quickly too! Just whisk together some fat free or low fat sour cream, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper.



Rinse and drain a can of black-eyed peas and toss them into the dressing.



Then add a cup of thinly sliced sweet onions. I used Vidalia.



And some cucumber. This one was a little on the "spongy" side, so I spoon seeded it before slicing.



Add one cup, thinly sliced.



Keeping with the "one cup" theme, add a cup of julienne-cut red bell pepper.



Toss the ingredients until coated, then cover and chill for at least 3 hours before serving.



Black-Eyed Pea Salad with Sour Cream Dressing from Cooking Light July 2001

1/2 fat free or low fat sour cream
1/3 cup vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup thinly slice sweet onion
1 cup thinly sliced cucumber
1 cup julienne-cut red bell pepper
1 (15.8 oz) can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained

1. Combine first five ingredients in a medium bowl, stir with a whisk
2. Add remaining ingredients, tossing to coat. Cover and chill at least 3 hours.
Yield: 4 servings (one cup each)

Calories 115, Fat .5 g, Protein 6.3 g, Carb 20.6 g, Fiber 1.9 g, Chol 0 mg, Iron 1 mg, Sodium 377 mg, Calc 63 mg

7 comments:

chow and chatter said...

great salad love the use of the black eyed peas for protein

Susanne said...

This looks great! I am a new visitor to your blog, but your recipes look really good. Hope you will stop by my blogs as well. Would love to have you visit.

Mary Bergfeld said...

This looks really delicious and I happen to love the source of protein you use in the recipe. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

Anonymous said...

I just happened upon your blog. Love... love all the great recipes.

theUngourmet said...

I've been wondering what I can use my can of black eyed peas in. This looks too good to pass up! Happy 4th to you and your family! :)

Julie said...

Looks like the perfect summer salad to me. Happy 4th to you and yours!

Unknown said...

I love this recipe, I served it at a Wedding Reception and got great reviews.

regards,
melvin of Garage Door Spring Replacement

Related Posts with Thumbnails