Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Easy Chicken Stir Fry



I've read cookbooks about 30 minute dinners and even 20 minute dinners, but I'm pretty sure that this one sets a record at 15 minutes...if that. A friend was picking me up for an exercise class at 6:30 tonight and I wanted to have dinner made, served, and cleaned up before she arrived. I grabbed three bags out of my freezer this afternoon: 1 bag of chicken cut up and marinated for stir fry (from that 18 lbs. of chicken I processed last month), 1 bag of cooked rice ( I froze extra rice from a recipe that I made a month or so ago) and one bag of stir fry vegetables. I let them thaw on the countertop and headed outside for some yard work.



At 5:45 I heated some oil in my skillet over high heat, then dumped the chicken out of the bag to cook in the hot oil. I stir fried it for 3-5 minutes until it was just cooked.



Then I dumped in that bag of veggies and cooked them covered for a bit until things really heated up and then uncovered them so some of the liquid could cook off (the veggies were a bit icy). I tasted the sauce from the skillet and decided to add a little Hoisin sauce, some soy sauce, and some mashed ginger. You can season it however you like. It would've been fine with just the marinade as sauce, but I wanted to play with it a bit. Red pepper flakes would have been good here too!



Once the veggies were cooked to the desired consistency, I dumped in the bag of cooked rice and stirred it all around until it was heated through.



And that's it! Dinner! This was pretty tasty for what it was. Everyone ate it. The only change that I would make is to use fresh veggies next time. I think that these were a tad freezer burned.



Easy Chicken Stir Fry

1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast, cut up for stir fry
1/2 bottle of Asian flavored marinade (like teriyaki or sesame ginger)
1 bag stir fry vegetables from the freezer
2 cups (or more) cooked rice

Marinate the chicken for 4 or more hours. Heat about 2 tablespoons of oil in a skillet or wok over medium high to high heat. Add the chicken and stir fry until just done. Add the veggies and stir fry until tender crisp. Stir in the cooked rice and heat through. Serve.

What's your favorite quickie dinner?

6 comments:

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

I absolutely adore stir fry!

Mary Bergfeld said...

It may be easy, but you sure haven't sacrificed flavor. This sounds wonderful. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

quick easy and delicious...

great example of planning ahead

Love this post

Heather S-G said...

Oh, nice and easy...love it! My favorite quickie dinner is probably...huh. I don't know off the top of my head. But I'll take the stir-fry, for sure! ;)

Sinful Southern Sweets said...

Who knew stir fry could be so easy?!?! But it looks soooo yummy! Thanks for the recipe!

teresa said...

GREAT idea! so handy on a busy day, it looks delicious too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails