Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Texas Beef BBQ



This slow cooker BBQ recipe is so good! I first tried it out last year. Let me tell ya, it was love at first bite. With sauce ingredients like Spicy V8 and brown sugar, it combines the perfect amount of sweet and heat. It'll have you smilin' til the cows come home. Yee Haw! Whoa, lil' doggies. I'm not sure where that came from. I guess the name of this recipe just puts me in the cowgirl spirit. I feel like I need to wear some sh** kickers with my apron while I mix up this TEXAS BEEF BBQ.

First you'll want to make sure you have all of the ingredients for the sauce: Vinegar, ketchup, Spicy V8, brown sugar,Worcestershire, paprika, ground mustard, chili powder, salt and pepper


Okay, I made it through ingredient inventory. For the sauce, that is. Apparently I didn't check carefully enough for the main ingredient: Beef. Here's where my execution of the recipe went a little off course. It calls for a 4 lb. roast. When I made the meal plan, I thought that I had a roast in the freezer. I did not. What I did have was this giant round steak. I cut it in half and rolled it up so that it cooked more like a roast. It worked out okay, but this recipe is so much better when prepared with a roast.

Now mix up the sauce ingredients in a bowl.


Pour it over the beef and set to cook on LOW for 8-10 hours.


Once the beef is tender, I go ahead and shred it with a couple of forks and then let the BBQ finish out the remainder of the time in the slow cooker. This way, every little shred of beef stews in that delicious sauce.


Here it is! Quite honestly, I think that this was about an hour past done. We got back from my daughter's dance class and errand running a little later than expected. So in the picture, it looks a little dry. But trust me, if you use the roast and don't overcook, it is juicy and delicious and wonderful and...well I just can't say enough good things about this yummy Texas Beef BBQ.


Texas Beef Barbecue

1 boneless beef sirloin tip roast (4 pounds)
1 can (5-1/2 ounces) spicy hot V8 juice
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground mustard
1 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon pepper
16 kaiser rolls, split

Cut roast in half; place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Combine the V8 juice, water,
vinegar, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar and seasonings; pour over
roast. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender. Remove
meat and shred with two forks; return to slow cooker and heat through. Spoon 1/2
cup meat mixture onto each roll.

Yield: 16 servings.

One serving: 1 sandwich Calories: 339 Fat: 8 g Saturated Fat: 2 g Cholesterol: 60 mg Sodium: 606 mg Carbohydrate: 39 g Fiber: 1 g Protein: 27 g Diabetic Exchange: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch.

WW points: 7

2 comments:

Sophia Lee said...

wow! looks terrific! I don't have a slow-cooker though...would it work on stove-top?

Krista said...

You could make it in your oven. Here is the link to a recipe that roasts the meat in the oven http://www.recipetips.com/recipe-cards/t--1623/barbecue-beef-sandwich.asp
Rather than use any old barbecue sauce from the store, just use the Texas Beef BBQ sauce recipe here to top the shredded beef. The result should be the same. Good luck!

Related Posts with Thumbnails