Sunday, February 1, 2009

Super Bowl Seven Layer Dip



This really is my favorite 7 layer dip. It's always a hit at cook outs and parties. Last year I took it to a cook out and 6 of us obliterated it in about 10 minutes. Bugers, what?! We've got 7 layer dip.

Easily assembled in a 13 X 9, it travels well. Here are the ingredients neatly arranged in my Pyrex: 2 cans of bean dip, 2-3 avacados, mayo, sour cream, taco seasoning, tomatoes, green onions, olives, and oops...I forgot the cheese. Shredded cheddar and/or Jack.


So let's begin. Spread the two cans of bean dip in the bottom of the dish.


Now for the avacados. The recipe calls for 3 medium, but the special at my local grocery was 2 large for $5, so I made them work. You want ripe avacados. They should be a deep greenish brown and give a little when you gently press against the skin. Slice them in half.


Now remove the seed. Here's a trick. I take a little whack at the seed with my chef's knife so that it sticks in the seed. Then I give it a little wiggle and pull the seed right out.



Now scrape the "meat" away. I used this Pampered Chef avacado peeler that my mom sent to me. Just run the blade along the skin and the avacado easily pops out. I never received a lesson on how to use this handy little tool. A few minutes ago a looked it up on the Pampered Chef website and apparently you can use it to slice the avacado, remove the seed, and then chop the avacado up for salsa or whatever your recipe calls for. It's still pretty fun to hack into the seed with my chef's knife, though.



Now, I mash up the avacado using my pastry cutter. Love this kitchen tool. It works just as well on avacados and bananas as it does on biscuits and streudel.


Spread the avacado over the bean dip layer.


Now mix the mayo, sour cream, taco seasoning packet, and lemon juice.


Spread it over the avacado layer. The citric acid in this layer keeps the avacado from turning all brown and ugly.


Now slice a bunch of green onions and sprinkle them on the sour cream/mayo layer.


And chop a couple of tomatoes and place them evenly over the dip.


Next, drain a can of black olives and sprinkle them over the tomatoes.


And finally, top the whole thing with cheese.


Mmmmm. Layers. Now you just need tortilla chips.


7 Layer Dip

1st layer: 2 cans of bean dip (found in the chip aisle at the grocery)
2nd layer: 3 medium avacados
3rd layer: 1 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup mayo, 1 pkg. taco seasoning, 2 T lemon juice
4th layer: 1 bunch green onions, sliced
5th layer: 3 tomatoes, diced
6th layer: slice black olives
7th layer: top with shredded cheddar and/ or Monterey Jack

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very good, easy to make

Related Posts with Thumbnails