Thursday, January 22, 2009

Vegetable Soup



If you're a regular here at Krista's Kitchen, then you know that I keep complaining about those resolutions. Still, as much as I would like to kick them to the curb and chow down hot fudge sundaes and bags of Fritos (oh how I love Fritos) with reckless abandon, I am sticking to them. As of today, I have lost the 6 lbs. that I gained over the holidays. Don't cheer too much...that was the 6 lbs. I gained on top of the 15 that I already wanted to lose. Now that the baby is a year old, I can no longer use her as an excuse. So I'm back to where I was in November and stickin' to my darn resolutions this time. Hey, I know what's going to happen when the sun finally comes out in this frozen tundra and melts the snow and ice away...my kids are going to want me to take them to the pool. That is not a happy thought for me right now. So today's recipe is healthy and fat free and saves my day when I'm starving for something hot and delicious and I don't want to pack on the extra calories ("points" for you Weight Watchers). It's just the Garden Vegetable Soup from the WW book, but I do love it. I'm a sucker for soup. The cream kind, the broth kind, the noodle kind, healthy, unhealthy, whatever...I love soup.

So here goes....

I double or triple the recipe when I make it and freeze it in smaller portions. So, if it looks like I've used more of an ingredient than the recipe states, it's because I have. Begin by putting the sliced carrots, diced onion, and minced garlic in a large saucepan and saute over low heat for about 5 minutes, or until tender.


While the first round of veggies saute, go ahead and prepare the rest of the vegetables. I chop the cabbage, I wash and snap my green beans, and I chop the zucchini and set it aside.



I now I add the cabbage and beans + 3 cups of fat free broth (any kind you like-beef, chicken, or vegetable) to the sauteed veggies.


Plus, tomato paste, basil, oregano, and salt. Then bring it all to a boil. Reduce the heat. Then simmer, covered for 15 minutes or until your beans are tender.


Now stir in the zucchini and heat another for 3-4 minutes.


Mmm. Heavenly, hot, healthy vegetables. 1 cup = 42 calories. Love it. Did I say that already?


And it freezes well too. That's Chicken Noodle Soup on the left. I made them on the same "Souper" Saturday.


Garden Vegetable Soup
courtesy of Weight Watchers

Ingredients:
2/3 cup sliced carrot
1/2 cup diced onion
2 garlic cloves
3 cups fat free broth (beef, chicken, or vegetable)
1 1/2 cup diced green cabbage
1/2 cup green beans
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup diced zucchini

Directions:

In a large saucepan, sprayed with nonstick cooking spray, saute carrot, onion, and garlic over low heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add broth, cabbage, beans, tomato paste, basil, oregano, and salt; bring to a boil.

Lower heat and simmer, covered about 15 minutes or until beans are tender. Stir in zucchini and heat 3-4 minutes. Serve hot.

Per serving: 42 calories, 0 g fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 63 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrates, 2.4 g dietary fiber, 3 g protein, 41 mg calcium

That's 0 pts for the Weight Watchers.

1 comment:

Katrina said...

How many servings does this recipe make?

Related Posts with Thumbnails