Monday, January 12, 2009

Chicken Noodle Soup



Mmmm. That homemade chicken noodle soup looks so good you want to come on over and have a bowl for yourself. Well don't! There are germs here. I woke up yesterday feeling like I'd spent 3 hours in the gym lifting weights and then ran 7 miles. Only,(sadly) I haven't seen the inside of a gym in months. Every muscle in my body ached. And there were sniffles. And sneezes. You get the picture. I stared out the window at nearly a foot of snow piled on the porch and my thoughts drifted to the leftover roasted chicken breast in my fridge. Hey, I can't control where they drift. There was only one thing to do. I needed some chicken noodle soup ASAP. I had all of the stuff on hand: chicken, broth, carrots, celery, onion, noodles. Why not?

I started by chopping a couple of carrots and celery stalks and 1/2 cup of onion. Then I threw them into the pot with about a tablespoon of butter to cook until tender.


Now for that leftover roast chicken breast. I cut up around 2 cups.


Add the chicken to the pot with salt, pepper, a bouillon cube, and a bay leaf.


Now pour in 6 cups of chicken broth and bring to a boil.


Pour in 3 cups of egg noodles and cook about 10 minutes until the noodles are tender.


Serve it up. I sprinkled mine with parsley. I used to put the parsley in the pot while I was cooking the soup, but I have a picky kid that doesn't like "that green stuff floating in my soup".


Chicken Noodle Soup

2 carrots
1 1/2 celery stalks
1/2 cup onion
1 tablespoon butter
2 cups chicken breast, cooked and cut up
6 cups chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
1 chicken bouillon cube
bay leaf
parsley
3 cups egg noodles

Saute vegetables in butter until tender. Add chicken breast, salt, pepper, bay leaf, parsley and broth. Bring to a boil. Add egg noodles and cook about 10 minutes until the noodles are done.

2 comments:

Deanna said...

Ooh, do you have leftovers? I have a head and chest cold.... a bad one.... and would love some yummy, hot soup! :) Wanna ship some from Cleveland?

Krista said...

It would probably still be warm when it got there.

Hope you feel bettter soon!

Related Posts with Thumbnails