Thursday, January 8, 2009

Bruschetta Chicken Bake



It pays to read the recipe. When I made the meal plan, I glanced over this recipe and put the ingredients on the grocery list. Then I didn't think about it again until today. I had thawed a whole chicken breast ahead of time and put it in the oven to roast this afternoon. I just assumed that the recipe called for cooked chicken. Not so. The chicken was supposed to bake with the casserole. Not a big deal, I just baked the casserole for a little less time. However, it would have been easier to make it all at once and the casserole was a little on the dry side as a result of my error. Otherwise, this recipe was so simple, I could have almost accomplished it with my eyes closed and one hand tied behind my back (stupid human tricks) and it only took about 10 minutes of prep.

I used half of the roasted chicken breast for this recipe. The rest will be used for another meal. Maybe a light lunchtime chicken salad.


Cut it into bite sized pieces and place in the bottom of a 9 X 13 baking dish. Sprinkle with 1 cup of mozzarella and 1 teaspoon of dried basil. I only used half a teaspoon, because I purchased diced tomatoes that already contained basil.


In a mixing bowl, combine 1 can of diced tomatoes, 1 package of chicken stuffing, 1/2 cup of water, and two cloves of garlic. A couple of shortcuts: you can purchase diced tomatoes with garlic, which is what I did or you can use the garlic from a jar to save yourself the time in mincing the garlic (and washing your chopper or cutting board). Stir just until the stuffing is moistened.


Now, spread the stuffing mix evenly over the chicken and cheese. Put it into a 400 degree oven and bake for 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.


There you have it. Dinner in under an hour, and you only worked for 10 minutes. Can't beat that. I served mine with a vegetable medley prepared in the microwave.


Bruschetta Chicken Bake from Kraft Food and Family

Prep Time:10 min
Total Time:40 min
Makes:6 servings, 1 cup each

1 can (14-1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 pkg. (6 oz.) STOVE TOP Stuffing Mix for Chicken
1/2 cup water 2 cloves garlic, minced
1-1/2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
1 tsp. dried basil leaves
1 cup KRAFT 2% Milk Shredded Mozzarella Cheese

HEAT oven to 400°F. Mix tomatoes, stuffing mix, water and garlic just until stuffing mix is moistened.

LAYER chicken, basil, cheese and stuffing in 3-qt. or 13x9-inch baking dish.

BAKE 30 min. or until chicken is cooked through

Nutrition Infomation: Calories 300 Total fat 7 g Saturated fat 2.5 g Cholesterol 75 mg Sodium 710 mg Carbohydrate 26 g Dietary fiber 2 g Sugars 4 g Protein 33 g Vitamin A 10 %DV Vitamin C 15 %DV Calcium 30 %DV Iron 15 %DV

WW points: just 6!

1 comment:

Amy said...

We tried this Monday with a salad on the side.. YUMMY!

Related Posts with Thumbnails